St Andrews Scientist Awarded International Physics Prize

Professor Kishan Dholakia of the School of Physics and Astronomy received the award for his work in manipulation, nano-surgery and imaging.

0
Photo: Youtube

The 2018 International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) Dennis Gabor Award has been presented to Professor Kishan Dholakia from the University of St Andrews School of Physics and Astronomy for his work in manipulation, nano-surgery and imaging. Through his use of dynamic and static diffractive optics, Professor Dholakia has advanced understanding and applications of holographic light fields.

The SPIE’s mission is to partner with researchers, educators and the wider industry to advance research into light-based technology. Founded in 1955, the not-for-profit Society annually sponsors an estimated 25 major technical forums, exhibitions and educational programmes around the world. In 2017 alone, SPIE allocated $4 million in support of outreach programmes.

The Dennis Gabor Award ($2,000) is presented in acknowledgement of advancements in holography and metrology applications in diffractive wavefront technologies.

Professor Dholakia said, “I am truly honoured and humbled to receive this award that is named after one of the most exceptional scientists of the last Century. It is a recognition of my whole group’s work in this exciting area of shaped light and they share this accolade with me.”

He will accept the Award in San Diego this month, at the Annual SPIE Meeting.

Previous recipients of the award include Toyohiko Yatagai, Ting-Chung Poon and Kazuyoshi Itoh.

Professor Dholakia also received the Institute of Physics Thomas Young Medal and Prize in 2017 for his work in micro-manipulation.