Man dies after being pulled from water at East Sands

The man was spotted by a member of the public just after 8:25pm yesterday evening by a member of the public but subsequently died in hospital. Police are still trying to identify him and anyone with information is urged to contact 101, quoting incident number 4194.

0

A man has died in hospital after being found unconscious in the water at East Sands in St Andrews yesterday evening.

Having been spotted by a member of the public just after 8:25pm yesterday, the man was removed from the water before being flown to Ninewells Hospital, where he later died.

Both the Coastguard and Royal Lifeboat team from Broughty Ferry assisted police and ambulance crews in the rescue operation.

The man is yet to be identified, but is believed to have been in his 60s. Police Scotland are appealing to anyone who may have relevant information.

The Police describe the man as approximately 5ft 3in tall, with a tanned complexion, greying hair, slight stubble, blue eyes and no tattoos.

It has also been revealed that a number of items were recovered from the shore, including a pink Cotton Traders polo shirt, a beach towel, a pair of George (ASDA) sunglasses and a pair of white size six Lonsdale trainers.

Christopher Mill, Detective Inspector of North East Fife CID said: “Our inquiries continue to establish the identity of the man and we are keen to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact the non-emergency number 101 quoting incident number 4194 for Monday 2 July.