The mother and sister of former St Andrews student Kate Vasconcellos, who passed away in 2015, will do the famous pier jump and other St Andrews traditions in her honour.

Ms Vasconcellos, an American, was a final year Economics student living in Agnes Blackadder Hall.

A plaque on the bench outside of the hall was created in her honour shortly after her passing.

Kate was described by her mother, Linda, as a “very kind and giving person” and “full of life.”

Additionally, according to her mother, Kate was the first heterosexual board member of the St Andrews LGBT+ Society and walked in the annual Drag Walk.

On what she hopes to gain from the pier jump, Linda’s goal is “not letting Kate be forgotten” and “carrying her spirit forward and keeping it alive.”

“She so loved Scotland and her years there,” Linda said.

The decision to remember Kate with the pier jump holds particular significance because Kate and her friends planned to do the pier jump together before graduation and Kate was looking forward to it, according to her mother.

The pier jump will take place on Wednesday 4 July 2018 at 5:20 pm, and Kate’s mother and sister will also be joined by several of Kate’s friends and fellow graduates from the University of St Andrews.

The memorial event has been coined “The Leap of Kate” by Kate’s mother. Additionally, on Wednesday 27 June, the date of Kate’s 28th birthday and her parents 38th wedding anniversary, her mother will read Kate’s Honours thesis on the lawn next to the Economics building.