BREAKING: Bell Street closed after crash between lorry and pedestrian

It is believed that the 72-year-old woman collapsed before being hit by the lorry at approximately 3:20pm.

0
Photo: Sven Struan Finlay

Bell Street in St Andrews has been closed in both directions after a collision between a lorry and a 72-year-old pedestrian.

It is believed that the woman collapsed before being hit by the lorry at approximately 3:20pm on Monday 23 June.

Police, ambulance and fire crews were called to the scene, with Police asking people to avoid the area where possible whilst they carry out their investigations. The St Andrews Wine Company is among the shops now closed for the day in the incident’s aftermath.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said, “A 72-year-old woman is being taken to Ninewells Hospital and emergency services remain at the scene.

“Anyone who may have witnessed this and has not yet spoken to officers is urged to contact Police Scotland on 101 as soon as possible quoting incident number 2473 of July 23.”

Road closures also extended to South Street and Greyfriars Gardens following the incident, with a number of bus services diverted as a result.

Two ambulances and three fire crews were dispatched to the scene, whilst a heavy rescue unit was also in attendance.