Professor Sally Mapstone has been announced as the new president of the The Saltire Society, a landmark announcement as she will become the society’s first female President.

The Saltire Society works to promote a greater understanding of Scottish culture and heritage. They were founded in 1936 to improve the quality of life in Scotland and restore Scotland’s place in Europe as a creative force.

The 82-year-old charity also works with emerging creatives and support them in their endeavours, celebrating a variety of industries and backgrounds.

On her new position, Professor Mapstone said, “It is such an honour to be assuming this role. The Saltire Society advocates for the excellence of Scottish culture and its place at the heart of Scottish society. Scottish culture has a proud and diverse history and a dynamic currency today. Books, buildings and the arts surround us daily, and Scottish writers, artists, designers and musicians constantly enhance our lives.”

She continued, “I look forward to promoting the Scottish cultural mix through the Saltire Society’s activities and to raising the Society’s profile still further. It is also an honour to follow on from Magnus Linklater, whose commitment to the Saltire Society has done so much to enhance its standing and its significance.”

Professor Mapstone will succeed journalist and writer Magnus Linklater, who served as president from 2011 to 2018, to become the society’s 18th President.

On Professor Mapstone, Mr Linklater said, “I am certain that Sally will bring a new vision and a deep understanding of the values the Saltire Society stands for to her new role and I wish her all the best in that role. Being the President has been a deeply rewarding pleasure for me and I am certain that it will be for Sally.”

Sarah Mason, Programme Director of the Saltire Society, added, “We are looking forward to working with Sally to ensure that Scotland’s culture continues to be celebrated and encouraged and know that having her fresh voice will ensure the Society continues to develop and work for Scotland today.”