16-time Darts world champion Phil Taylor is amongst the names announced for the St Andrews Darts Masters, scheduled to take place this October.

‘The Power’, who retired from darts after reaching the final of the PDC World Championship in January, is the headline name for the eight-man tournament, which will be held at the students union on Saturday 13 October, with doors opening at 6:30pm.

The competition will use a basic elimination format, beginning with the quarter-finals, then the semis and eventually the grand final. The field is set to be comprised of four local amateur players who have already qualified and four current or former professionals.

Stuart Rattray, Dave Laing, Mark Smith and Billy Suttie will make up the local contingent, whilst Glen ‘Duzza’ Durrant and Peter ‘One Dart’ Manley have been confirmed to appear. One spot in the tournament remains vacant.

Photo: St Andrews Darts Masters

Durrant, from Middlesbrough, has been the best thrower on the BDO circuit for the past few seasons and in January successfully defended his BDO World Championship, beating Mark McGeeney 7-6. He currently sits second in the BDO World Rankings.

Despite only winning one major in his lengthy career, Peter Manley is still one of the most recognisable figures in the darting world. A three-time PDC World Championship finalist, he was also runner-up at the 1999 World Matchplay and reached the semi-finals of the World Grand Prix on five occasions. He lost his tour card in 2011 but has regularly featured in exhibition events ever since.

Described on the event’s Facebook page as the ‘biggest darts event ever held in St Andrews’, it is being organised by local resident Martin Brand, who expects an attendance of ‘around 300 people’.

Tickets are available through the event’s Facebook page, St Andrews Darts Masters, through Mr Brand directly or by calling 07976016740. All tickets are priced at £40, but meet and greet packages are also available.