Holly Hetherington, a second-year student at the University of St Andrews, has recently won the Management Undergraduate of the Year award at the TARGETjobs awards in London, outperforming over 3,000 other competitors for the award.

As the winner, Ms Hetherington will be offered a ten-week summer placement with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, including nine weeks at the European headquarters in Egham, England, and one week in the USA at the world headquarters in St Louis, Missouri.

On the placement, Ms Hetherington said, “[I’m] really looking forward to working hard this summer and all the connections and experiences I’m going to have, which I think will be really unique.”

During this placement, Ms Hetherington will experience many aspects of business, including customer service, marketing, finance, and sales, and network with others in the industry, including directors and senior management at Enterprise.

The TARGETjobs awards were held at East Wintergarden in Canary Wharf, with a champagne reception and three-course lunch for finalists and business leaders for all of the awards.

Reflecting on the dinner, she said, “I had the Managing Director of UK and Ireland, Khaled, on my left and the HR Director for Europe, Donna, on my right. [It] may sound like intimidating company but they were both so gracious and lovely to me.”

Along with studying management, Ms Hetherington is a member of the University’s women’s hockey first team and coaches hockey to students. She also supports the local community by teaching hockey to children, and she acts as Communications Officer for the over 60 sports clubs of the Athletic Union. Ms Hetherington serves as a social media ambassador for PlayerLayer, which includes running the St Andrews media accounts for the brand.

On Ms Hetherington’s achievements, Director of Careers Lorna Dargan said, “This award is well deserved. Holly has been an incredibly active member of the University and the community so this is a fantastic achievement.”

Ms Hetherington remarked, “There was just so much talent there so I never expected to win. I feel so honoured that the company chose me, and it’s given me a lot of confidence going into honours, which can only be a good thing.”