University of St Andrews amongst top international universities

Rated 21st out of a total of 200 establishments, the ranking comes from Times Higher Education’s (THE) Most International Universities in the World 2018, recognising the University for its cosmopolitan environment.

0
Illustration: Rachel Cripps

The University of St Andrews has been named in a list of institutions identified for their international characteristics, in a new ranking published on Thursday 14 March 2018.

The table was categorised with respect to the number of international students, staff and co-authorship of research papers published by someone from another country, within all universities.

Though information is not available on the University of St Andrews’ ranking in 2017, the University was ranked 34th in 2016 and 86th in 2015.

Therefore, this year’s ranking shows the highest the University has stood on the list in recent years.

Acknowledging this achievement, Principal Sally Mapstone said in a statement, “At St Andrews we pride ourselves on being a truly international and diverse community through our global collaborations and our multicultural spirit.”

Principal Mapstone continued, “The benefits of our international community enrich our university environment and ensure that our graduates make their way in the world as some of our brightest global citizens.”

The international reputation that universities on the THE’s rankings have acquired attract prospective students, due to their renowned distinctions of enhanced teaching and learning and claiming their students to be global citizens.

The United Kingdom is one of five countries present in the top 10 international universities on the list, along with Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.

The UK universities which stand ahead of the University of St Andrews on this year’s rankings include, respectively, Imperial College London, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, London School of Economics and Political Science, University College London, University of Warwick, and the University of Edinburgh.

With 3000 entrant students of approximately 130 differing nationalities, and 45 per cent of its academics and its students coming from across the globe, the University appreciates the significance of this all-encompassing setting.

The University of St Andrews claims that, according to research, “diverse communities of students improve the teaching and learning experience, while opportunities for students to spend time abroad better prepare them to become global citizens.”

Principal Mapstone added in her official statement, “Our strong international outlook is particularly important at this time when we are negotiating a new relationship with our European neighbours.”