I love all elements of theatre but one thing I can’t seem to get into is dance on its own. I find that I can often get bored and distracted quite easily and so it is very rare for me to choose to attend a performance here in St. Andrews. However, after seeing Timeless, the independent dance show produced through On The Rocks, I will certainly be looking out for other showcases in the future.

The performance was well put together and the theme was maintained effortlessly throughout a number of different routines. The performance opened with a tap routine choreographed by Natasha Furmidge to “In the Mood”. I love a bit of tap dancing and the remix to such a classic song set the tone for the evening’s dances, exploring the old and the new simultaneously.

A mix of genres were represented in both routine and choice of music. Bastille’s Pompeii was represented in a new fashion with Brooke Siegler’s carefully choreographed ballet piece creating an interesting contrast to the more contemporary style that we would are accustomed to. Me Too changed the tone with a more attacking and bold hip-hop number whilst If We Try explored the happiness of friendship and teamwork in a much more upbeat tap routine.

It is hard to get synchronicity in group dances and there is often a disparity in the levels of energy and commitment given by the individual dancers. This seemed to be the case with a lot of the larger routines which may have also been due to the differentiation in experience from one dancer to another. The solos on the other hand showed great promise particularly Dreams of Candlelight and Unsteady.

There were some standout routines which really enhanced the overall standard of the show. The beautiful story of finding one’s inner child brought to life by Alexandra Myers and Juliet Netting was particularly captivating in A Million Years. The piece had all the elements of a well thought-out contemporary performance and the partnership between the two dancers shone throughout. The partnerships created in the duets were almost spell-bounding and the chemistry between the dancers added another dimension to the routine which was especially effective in the ups and downs of a relationship enacted by Patrick McLaughlin and Flora Betts in Something New.

The choice of programme was well managed, and Rachael Hastie did a great job of producing seamless routine transitions. The Barron did however constrict the dancers slightly and some of the symmetrical formations were a little bit off as a result. Venues are limited during On the Rocks thanks to the plethora of acts but hopefully the group will be able to get a much larger space next time and deliver an even more seamless performance in the future.

Overall it was a job well done and has opened my eyes to the talent that lies within the dance domain of St. Andrews. I’ll definitely be looking out for more showcases in the events that pop up all over my Facebook feed from now on.