Photos: Byre Theatre

Byre World is a series of collaborations between the Byre Theatre and the School of Modern Languages of the University. Their goal is to present various research projects revolving around culture and history. Most recently, visitors were introduced to “human zoos”: putt ing people on display for morally questionable purposes. As a continuation of the series, Dr Emma Bond from the Department of Italian will discuss the stories of Human Zoos in Scotland to explore the controversies behind some of the last fairs held in Europe. The event will take place on 25 April at 6 p.m. – you can attend for free. On Friday 27 April, journalist Leonid Parfenov will discuss the perceptions of Jews in Russia in the 20th century and today. He will be presenting his latest documentary Russian Jews, which will be followed by a Q & A. The event is free but ticketed.

For two years between 2009 and 2011 Starcatchers, Scotland’s National Arts and Early Years organisation worked on the Inspire Project. This involved performer and puppeteer Hazel Darwin-Edwards taking residence in the Byre to explore various methods of engaging with young children through theatre and performance. The Attic is the magical place where main characters Grandma and Lucy are being stored – their plan is to escape and play. If you happen to be a parent with children aged between 2 and 5, this is an event you should keep an eye out for. The performance will be 50 minutes long, including 10 minutes of interactive playtime, and will take place in the Byre on 5 May at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Tickets are £5.

Highlights of the Film Club’s upcoming screenings are the 1955 dark comedy The Ladykillers and 2016’s surprise Oscar-nominee LionThe Ladykillers follows a group of
criminals who rent and elderly widow’s house near King’s Cross, with the plans of robbing a security van. Starring Alec Guinness as the lead, the film was also Peter Sellers’s first major role and has been ranked among the greatest British films of all time. Tickets are £6, do not miss it on 19 April at 10:30 a.m.
Lion is the tale of Saroo, who sets out to find his birth family 25 years after having been separated from them. The acclaimed indie earned six Oscar nominations last year, and will be screened in the Byre on the 26th.

At 5 p.m. on 28 April, Music Planet will be hosting an event with specific focus on “the relationship between humans and their environment”. This will include a performance
of Haydn’s The Seasons by the St Andrews Chorus, and Transitions St Andrews will also make an appearance. In honour of this ambitious musical event, the Byre Restaurant will be offering A Taste of the Seasons, addressing the shifts between seasons with locally sourced food (see the menu on the Byre website). The price is £24.95 per person – come to the Byre on this Saturday night if there’s no dinner in halls or you find yourself in need of a fancy meal.

For further information, visit the Byre Theatre website.