St Andrews evening degree student passes away aged 48

Sheena MacQueen passed away last week after battling a short illness. Apart from her studies at St Andrews, she worked for NHS Tayside and lived in Dundee.

0
Photo: University of St Andrews

On Monday 23 April, Principal Sally Mapstone announced the death of Sheena MacQueen, an evening degree student of the University of St Andrews.

Ms MacQueen, 48-years-old, passed away last week after battling a short illness, and her death was described as a “great shock” by the Principal.

She had been on a recent leave of absence, but according to the Principal, she “had hoped to return in the near future.”

While at St Andrews, Ms MacQueen studied a range of subjects, including psychology, management, and IT, and she was described as a “popular and enthusiastic classmate.”

Apart from her studies, Ms MacQueen worked for NHS Tayside and lived in Dundee.

In an email addressed to students, Principal Mapstone expressed her thoughts and sympathies for Ms MacQueen’s family, noting the University had been in touch with her eldest son, Matthew, for “support and condolences.”

Ms MacQueen’s funeral will be held on Wednesday 25 April, and her family has requested that attendees wear bright colours. The funeral will begin at 10:45am at Ashton and Son Funeral Directors, with the service beginning at 11am at Pitkerro Grove Cemetery.