The University and College Union (UCU) have voted to accept a deal proposed by Universities UK (UUK), which will suspend all industrial action, including action short of strike action.

A total of 64 per cent of members voted to accept the proposed deal, compared to 36 per cent against. There was a record turnout of UCU members, standing at 63.5 per cent all eligible voters.

As a result, the second wave of strike action planned by UCU St Andrews, set to commence on Monday 16 April, will no longer take place.

UCU general secretary, Sally Hunt, said: “Members have participated in record numbers in the consultation, with a clear majority voting to accept the proposals. The union has come a very long way since January when it seemed that the employers’ proposals for a defined contribution pension were to be imposed.

“Now we have agreement to move forward jointly, looking again at the USS valuation alongside a commitment from the employers to a guaranteed, defined benefit scheme. USS, the regulator and government now need to ensure that UCU and UUK have the space to implement the agreement effectively.”

The news comes as a relief to many St Andrews students who feared that the possibility of strike action could carry on into the examination period.

In an email uncovered by The Saint earlier this month, UCU St Andrews members described the use of an exams boycott as their “unbeatable weapon”.

The agreement puts an end to 14 days of strike action at 65 universities across the country, for the foreseeable future.

The union said it expected the agreement between the fund’s two key stakeholders to be welcomed. However, it said that, while all planned strike action is suspended, UCU will keep its strike mandate live as a precaution until this has process taken place.