What to wear in spring break

0
Photo: Flickr

Halfway through spring semester one of the biggest mass migrations of the year takes
place: the Friday afternoon dash to Edinburgh airport. With “The Beast From The East”
thoroughly covering most of Europe, it seems as if, rather than filling their suitcases with shorts and sundresses, many students’ suitcases will instead be filled with jeans and sweaters. Historically cold temperatures have hit places such as Madrid, Rome, Paris, and London, leading to unusual snowfalls, as well as many students’ planned vacations taking an icy turn. But rather than fret about the loss of a tan, here are some outfit ideas for wherever your spring break takes you.

Madrid: With the high temperatures hanging around the low 60’s (F)/high 50’s, this may
be seen as a relief from our lovely Scottish weather, but will still be cold nonetheless. Take this opportunity to layer wisely, while also using an jacket as a statement piece. And rather than alternating between three pairs of boots, throw some ballet flats, sneakers, or smoking slippers into your suitcase to either dress up or dress down one’s outfit. For the ladies, I would suggest a pair of platform sneakers (Steve Madden, Axel Arigato, or Superga), distressed jeans (Express, Paige, or Lucky Brand), a light sweater (Banana Republic, Asos, or J. Crew), and a denim or leather jacket to lie it all together (Helmet Lang, Levi, or your mom’s closet from the 1970’s).

Rome: Rome is expected to be slightly warmer than Madrid with it’s average never
slipping below 60 degrees (F). Even though this isn’t a huge temperature jump, one may be able to get away with not wearing a jacket. Due to the majority of students having acclimatized to the brisk St Andrews winter, 60 degrees may seem like the perfect opportunity to abandon one’s old and reliable jacket. And this excuse is much better than just not wanting to loose it at the Vic. For men I would suggest a pair of desert boots (Clarks, Johnston & Murphy, or Ted Baker), khakis (Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, or Brooks Brothers), a button-up shirt (Vineyard Vines, Polo Ralph Lauren, or Robert Graham), and maybe a light blazer on top to round out the look (Madewell, Vince Camuto, and Nordstroms).

Paris: Ahh the city of love, or in this case the city of freezing rain. If you’re planning on
heading down to Paris, I would definitely add a rain jacket and a pair of wellies to your suitcase. Now this doesn’t mean that fashion needs to be sacrificed for comfort, due to many companies releasing fashion forward rainwear. With the high hovering around the low 50’s (F), I would suggest wearing multiple light layers, allowing for one to stay warm and cozy, no matter what the weather throws at you. For ladies I would suggest a pair of rain boots (Hunter, L.L. Bean, or Ugg), leggings (Lulu Lemon, Victorias Secret, or Fabletics), a chunky sweater (Tommy Hilfinger, Talbots, or Rag and Bone), and topped off with a heavy rain jacket (North Face, Columbia, or Barbour).

London: London rounds out the list with the lowest temperatures, with a high in the low
40s (F). For anyone planning on spending their spring break walking along the Thames,
definitely plan on bringing a parka. With rain being predicted as well, I would expect nothing short of your standard Scottish weather. I would suggest wearing your regular wardrobe, but maybe adding a pop of color, due to the fact that you might actually see the sun. I would definitely suggest bringing along a pair of warm boots, as well as many quarter zips as one’s suitcase will hold.

Now if you are one of the lucky few heading beyond Europe and to a more tropical location, than you may have a bit better luck weather wise. If you plan on heading down to the Caribbean, expect highs in the 80s (F) and plenty of sunshine. I would suggest looking into brands such as Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, or Triangle Bathing Suits to prepare oneself for the sudden shock of heat and humidity that will hit anyone deplaning near the Prime Meridian. As your local Floridian I would also plan on stocking up on sunscreen, as the last thing that anyone wants is an 8 hour flight with a brutal sunburn. No matter where you plan on jetting off to this Spring Break, I have no doubt that our students will stay stylish and warm for their two weeks outside of the Bubble.