St Andrews in top 10 for student experience

St Andrews finished 13th in last year's survey, which comprises the responses of more than 20,000 students from 116 UK Universities across 22 measures.

0
Photo: Remi Mathis

The 2018 Times Higher Education student experience survey, released yesterday, has placed the University of St Andrews in joint-10th position, alongside the University of Chichester.

St Andrews received a score of 81.2, just under four points behind the first place score of Loughborough University, who topped the rankings for a fifth time since 2009.

Of the ranking, Principal Sally Mapstone said, “The highest quality of student experience is at the heart of what makes our universities successful and relevant, and we’re delighted that St Andrews has been recognised.”

The University of St Andrews’ 10th place finish is higher than their results in the last three years, where they placed 16th, 14th and 13th respectively.

The results are based on the responses of more than 20,000 students from 116 UK Universities across 22 measures, which are then aggregated.

Particular areas of success for St Andrews included academic experience, where they finished third, and student welfare, placing fourth. Less impressive categories were industry connections, where they were rated 60th and accommodation, finishing only 62nd.

The only other Scottish University to finish in the top 25 overall was Dundee, which was 14th, with the third best Scottish institution being Glasgow, which came 36th.

Harper Adams University, first place in last year’s survey, were second, with the Universities of Leeds, Bath and Sheffield rounding out the top five.