Earlier this month, the University emailed all students and faculties confirming a case of meningitis affecting one of its students. Today, the University sent a second email advising the community of a second case.

Meningitis, as defined by the NHS, is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. Infants, children and young adults are the most commonly affected.

NHS Fife Public Health have ensured that individuals in close contact with the second student were provided with antibiotics.

Individuals who were in less frequent contact with the student are cautioned to be vigilant of any symptoms of meningitis, but they are unlikely to be affected.

While the University maintains that the risk to staff and students is low, they are urging the community to become familiar with the symptoms of meningitis. These include fever, vomiting, severe headache, stiff neck, discomfort from fright lights, confusion, extreme sleepiness or difficulty waking, joint or muscle pain, cold hands and feet, pale skin, rash, and abnormal breathing.

Members of the community with any questions or concerns should contact the University’s Student Services, or, in the case of suspected illness, NHS 24 at 111 or a local general practitioner.