Professor Kenneth Falconer of St Andrews honoured by Queen

Professor Falconer has been a part of the mathematics department at the University of St Andrews for over 20 years, and he has now received one of the highest accolade in academia.

0
Photo: University of St Andrews

Professor Kenneth Falconer has been appointed Regius Chair of Mathematics by the Queen of England.

This makes Professor Falconer one of the universities most senior members of senate, having joined the University in 1993.

The Regulus Chair of Mathematics is one of the oldest and most prestigious in the country, founded by Charles II in 1668.

The award was first given to mathematical pioneer James Gregory, and it is only held by two other academics in the country, one at the University of Oxford and the other at the University of Warwick.

On the award, Professor Falconer said, ““I am deeply honored to have been appointed to the Regius Chair of Mathematics at St Andrews, a position that has been held by so many distinguished mathematicians over the past 350 years”.”

He continued, ““I have hugely enjoyed working in St Andrews for the last 24 years, with many inspirational colleagues, and I look forward to continuing to serve the University in this new role.””

Professor Falconer began his academic career with an undergraduate degree at Copus Christi College, Cambridge. He later a research student and then a research fellow at Cambridge.

He spent a period as a lecturer and reader at the University of Bristol before he finally moved to the University of St Andrews.

Professor Falconer is a specialist in fractal geometry and is a part of the analysis research group at the School of Mathematics and Statistics. He has published over 120 papers in leading mathematical journals.

He also authored the best-selling book “Fractal Geometry: –Mathematical Foundations and Applications,” which has been translated into five different languages.