Fife Police have issued a fresh appeal for information about the missing student Duncan Sim after it was revealed that a man was seen standing in water near Kinkell Braes in the hours after his disappearance.

The man, described as around six-foot-tall with dark hair, was seen standing in the water, in the vicinity of East Sands, at around 3am on the morning of Thursday 15 March.

Mr Sim, a first-year Chemistry undergraduate, was last seen outside the Madras Rugby Club on Old Station Road on Wednesday 14 March at around 11:15pm on a night out with friends. He did not return to his hall of residence that evening and has not been since.

Mr Sim has been described as a white male, approximately 6ft tall and of medium build. He has brown hair, green eyes and was last seen wearing a grey suit jacket, white shirt and a blue-and-white striped rugby club tie.

Since his disappearance, a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2160410407319417/) was set-up by former AU President Ben Peddie to organise volunteer searches, but these formalised volunteer efforts were stood down last Thursday.

Detectives are keen to establish the full circumstances around this sighting in order to understand whether it is connected to Mr Sim’s disappearance.

In a statement yesterday, Chief Inspector Steven Hamilton, local area commander for North East Fife, said: “We’re working to establish if this sighting may be connected to Duncan’s disappearance and are asking for the public’s help as part of this.

“Our inquiries to date do not support Duncan having travelled to the East Sands area, however, we are committed to pursuing all possible lines of enquiry in order to trace him.

“I would urge anyone who may have been in the East Sands area around 3am on Thursday 15 March and fits this description, or who saw anyone matching this description, to come forward as soon as possible.

“It has now been almost two weeks since Duncan was last seen and extensive enquiries have been undertaken throughout St Andrews to establish his whereabouts.

“This has included analysing CCTV footage and speaking to over 200 people to gather information.

“Again, I would appeal to the public in the St Andrews area to think back to the late hours of Wednesday 14 March and early hours of Thursday 15 March and contact us if they may have seen Duncan, or a man matching his description.

“Similarly, anyone with information relevant to our inquiry is urged to get in contact immediately.”

Those with information about Mr Sim’s disappearance are encouraged to contact Police Scotland via 101, quoting incident number 2987. Those with information about this sighting near East Sands are also encouraged to call 101.