Bowhouse Food Weekends returning to Fife this weekend

Bowhouse Food Weekends will launch their 2018 season on 10 March, and these local food fairs will be free to attend.

0
Photo: Martha Bryce

Situated just outside St Monan’s in Fife on Balcaskie Estate, Bowhouse Food Weekends will launch their 2018 season on 10 March. These food fairs will be free to attend.

Opened in July 2017 on the Balcaskie Estate, Bowhouse labels itself as a food and drink hub for Scotland.

It has permanent vendors year round, but the Bowhouse Food Weekend offer an unique opportunity to sample local food and drink from producers in Fife.

Vendors this year will include Eden Mill, Langoustine the Box, Minick the Butcher, Flahute Coffee, and Shed35 Brewery Ltd.

As well as these stalls, the Bowhouse market will provide a dedicated street-food area, including Wild Fire Pizza, Fish by the Scallop Man, and The Fizz Bar.

Attendees are able to try and buy this food and drink while listening to live music and watching food demonstrations from leading experts.

The weekend will take place over lambing season on the Balcaskie Estate, which means that visitors will have the chance to see newborn lambs in close quarters.

Visitors will also be able to take part in Easter craft activities, including a ring-making workshop in collaboration with Tea Green Events, and bulb planting for children with Keeping The Plot.

The weekends in 2018 will run on 10-11 March, 7-8 April, 12-13 May, 7-8 July, 11-12 August, and 8-9 September.

Each of the food weekends will support a local charity. The previous weekends have attracted 8,500 visitors.

Toby Anstruther, the founder, said, “We’ve been delighted with the popularity of our food weekends so far and know that there’s a tremendous appetite to attend these future events.  People welcome the opportunity to reconnect with the food and drink they consume and find out more about how it’s made.”  

He continued, “Our producers also relish the chance to show what they’re doing and meet other like minded makers.  Making these connections is what Bowhouse is all about – and of course, everyone enjoys the lively atmosphere and chance to taste delicious new produce.”

Travel to the venue is possible with Stagecoach bus services 95 (Leven-St Andrews) and X60 (Edinburgh-St Andrews) stopping nearby. Balcaskie Estate, which is also a modern working farm, is also about 5 kilometers away from Eli, and can be cycled to along the Fife Coastal Path.

Bowhouse Food Weekends are sponsored by Balcaskie Food from Fife.

Food from Fife aims to help maximise Fife’s potential for development of its food and tourism sectors, by developing better connections between the food and drink businesses of Fife and increasing awareness of them beyond Fife.