STAUCA members go sober to raise money for charity

STAUCA, the University's Conservative and Unionist Association, will be going sober for Lent to raise for money for the mental health charity CALM.

0
42
Photo; STAUCA

Eight members of the St Andrews Conservative and Unionist Association (STAUCA) will be giving up alcohol over the course of Lent, beginning today, in order to raise money for the men’s mental health charity CALM.

In the Christian tradition, Lent is the period preceding Easter, devoted to fasting and abstinence in commemoration of Christ’s fasting in the wilderness. It runs from Ash Wednesday (14 February) to Holy Saturday (31 March).

STAUCA President James Bundy, who is amongst those participating, said that the idea for the initiative came from two of the society’s fresher committee members, Edward Sheasby and Henry Kirk. Other members participating include Leo Kelly, Dominic Jack, Ruraidh Stewart, Rose Brugger and Josh Samuels.

Mr Bundy said “They stated that because of our events such as Port and Policy and Tory Tuesday Pub crawls, people tend to associate our society’s events with alcohol, therefore publicly giving it up to raise money for charity could generate higher donations.

“With some members giving up alcohol for Lent, it should allow us as a society to prove that we are much more than a drinking club as well as raising money for a fantastic cause”.

CALM, or Campaign Against Living Miserably, was established in 2006 and is dedicated to preventing male suicide, which is the biggest killer of men under the age of 45.

When asked why the society chose CALM in particular for their donations Mr Bundy said “It is a stain on society that the biggest cause of death for men under the age of 45 is suicide. CALM does fantastic work to support men who are suffering and we hope that our fundraising can allow them to access more resources so more men can receive the wonderful support they provide”.

Although the society are yet to put an estimate on how much they expect to raise, 100% of the money they receive in donations will be given to the charity.

You can follow their progress and make donations at the following link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/soberupformentalhealth.