Label: ‘A Breath of Fresh Air’

After interviewing Label, St Andrews' youngest fashion show, Bri Paterson previews what is to come.

0

St Andrews’ youngest fashion show is back with a bang this year, coming to town on the Friday 13 April with a new, fresh take on fashion that other shows simply don’t provide.

Established in 2015 by St Andrews student Jo Boon, this is the first year that the show goes on without its founder, although she is still heavily involved in the creative processes. With a variety of designers already signed on, the show itself includes a selection of newly designed pieces that have been created especially for the show.

Held in the Rufflets hotel, the venue is a refreshing change from the usual locations that have long become overdone, providing yet another individual edge that Label has become known for. Tickets go on sale on the Sunday 4 March and promise to be reasonably priced, ensuring that the show is inclusive to all regardless of economic background, something that other fashion shows blatantly ignore. Regardless of other factors, Label promises to be the best value fashion show St Andrews has to offer, if not the cheapest. With their latest theme of ‘Deconstructed Fairytales’, Label aims to provide a highly fashionable take on more traditional looks. Although they haven’t officially announced any of their designers the theme itself suggests a balance between high fashion ornate designs and sleek clean pieces.

Label above all else aims to promote a body positive mindset and inner beauty, and this is reflected in their selection of a diverse plethora of models. As opposed to other fashion shows in St Andrews which have a reputation of being brutally restricted to the generic idea of beauty with their models, Label instead claims to support more alternative depictions of beauty. This is something that is refreshingly new in St Andrews, and to be honest I’m grateful for this breath of fresh air. After all it’s pretty confidence boosting to see models that could look like you, lumps and all. Furthermore, in order to promote Label’s basic principles of body positive self expression this year there will be no raised catwalk and the show will be seated, promising that you won’t have to fight the crowds to get a view.

However the show isn’t just about the fashion, there also promises to be entertainment from dance troops and musical acts: well-known local DJ Liquid Alloy is DJing the show. Label has also managed to secure sponsorship from Rusacks hotel and are still looking for more sponsors to ensure that the show is bigger and better than ever.The show promises to be a highly stylish and body positive event definitely worth putting on your social calendar.