BREAKING NEWS: “Beast from the East” prompts RED alert for Fife

The Met Office guidance for red warnings assert that “extreme weather” is likely and that “risk to life is likely”.

0
Photo: Sasha Veliko-Shapko

A red weather warning has been issued for Fife and Tayside as the cold front from Siberia grips the country.

A red warning is the highest alert the Met Office can issue and will be in effect from 3 pm on Wednesday until 10 am on Thursday.

risk to life is likely

St Andrews University library is also set to close 12 hours earlier than usual at 2 pm due to the turbulent weather.

In an announcement on the library speakers, which could be heard across all floors, a spokesperson for the library asserted that they would hopefully be open again at midday tomorrow.

Library cafe facilities began to close at 1 pm this afternoon.

A second amber warning remains in place for the whole of Tayside and Fife, effective from 10:15 am on Wednesday until 6pm on Thursday.

The Met Office’s chief forecaster said: “Snow showers already affecting the area will become heavier and more prolonged later on Wednesday afternoon and at times through the evening and overnight period, with 5 cm of snow falling within an hour in some places and lying snow reaching 20-30 cm and possibly 40 cm in a few places by mid morning on Thursday.”

The red warning further states, “Extreme weather is expected. Red means you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the weather.

Extreme weather is expected

“Widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life is likely. You must avoid dangerous areas and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities.”

Many schools and local businesses in the St Andrews area have remained closed for the day.

University of St Andrews sports facilities will also be closed this evening.

Following the issue of the red alert the Proctor of the University of St Andrews issued an email to students which read, “The University has urged all staff outwith St Andrews to go home while it is still safe to do so, and not to travel in tomorrow morning.”

“It is inevitable that some teaching will be affected, as will our services in the Library, Residences and other facilities.”

Snow is anticipated to continue falling until Sunday later this week.