Rifle Club make strong start to season

Megan Auld reports on the Rifle Club as they make a strong start to their competitive season.

0

The competitive season for the Rifle Club got off to a brilliant start with the first SSS Grand Prix in Aberdeen. The two-day competition is the first in a year-long series with five other universities around Scotland, with the University of Aberdeen and Robert Gordon University hosting around 50 competitors. This year, the team took along eight competitors, from a range of ability levels, including two novice shooters. The results from the weekend were very encouraging for the first competition of the year. St Andrews’ Team of VIII and Team of IV both came second on Saturday. There was a strong performance from the female shooters, with the Ladies Triad coming in first on Saturday and second on Sunday, as well as individually, with Megan Auld winning A Class and finishing first overall on the Saturday. The club’s newest shooters, Lachlan Merrill and Ryan Haynes did not fail to do the club proud. For their first experience of competition, these novices each finished third in their class – Merrill came in third on Saturday and Haynes on Sunday. The A team pair were also only narrowly defeated, coming second on the Saturday by only one point.  As well as some excellent shooting on both days of the competition, fun was had by all – a very successful weekend all round.