Library showcases its most rented DVDs since 1999

0
Photo: Ashley Llewellyn

The University of St Andrews library has recently published a list of the 10 most borrowed DVDs from their collection.

In a post on their blog, it was announced that Spirited Away, a 2001 Japanese animation film by Hayao Miyazaki, takes the top spot on the chart.

The list is based on data recorded from 1999 and onwards.

Students seem to have an interest in anime as Princess Mononoke, also directed by Miyazaki, sits in fourth place. This may be a nod to the international diversity of the student community in the town, or simply a suggestion that students here have eclectic tastes.

Though these Japanese titles may be unfamiliar to some, big names such as Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction or Stanley Kubrick’s Dr Strangelove are more well known. These two box office hits occupy ninth and tenth place respectively.

‘Feel-good favourites’ certainly fill the list, though in different genres. Four Weddings and a Funeral, in second place, and When Harry Met Sally, in eighth, suggest that the library collection appeals to those looking for a quiet night in with a rom-com.

Yet Star Wars: Episode Five – The Empire Strikes Back, in fifth place, shows that fantasy fans here select their films with a touch of nostalgia.

The list confirms that, when it comes to cinema, students of St Andrews have a varied taste.

1. Spirited Away (2001) / directed by Hayao Miyazaki

2. Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) / directed by Mike Newell

3.Lost in Translation (2003) / directed by Sofia Coppola

4.Princess Mononoke / directed by Hayao Miyazaki

5. Star Wars. Episode 5, The Empire Strikes Back (1980) / directed by Irvin Kershner

6. The Virgin Suicides (1999) / directed by Sofia Coppola

7. The Big Lebowski (1997) / directed by Joel Coen

8. When Harry Met Sally (1989) / directed by Rob Reiner

9. Pulp Fiction (1994) / directed by Quentin Tarantino

10. Dr. Strangelove: or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) / directed by Stanley Kubrick