Bursting the Bubble: The Kooks

Once again reviewer Bri Paterson chooses to shirk Barbour and Wellington in favour of an event outside The Bubble.

0

As mentioned in my last column, leaving the bubble is always a terribly challenging endeavour and therefore frequently needs to be planned months in advance. However one of the most common reasons for us study-focused students to break away from our work and the safety of the St Andrews cocoon is for the variety of musical acts that are frequently on show in nearby Edinburgh and Glasgow. With the music scene in St Andrews being fairly minuscule, there isn’t much music in town to keep everybody interested. Therefore, for some reason it just seems like one of the few events that bring people together and consistently pull people out to larger towns. Who would have guessed that students were in to music right?

Now, being fairly tone deaf and tasteless in my choice of music it’s not very common for me to find bands I like that other people can stand listening to. And everybody knows it’s no fun to go to a concert by yourself, because what fun is dancing like an idiot in front of strangers. Which means sadly I’ve only actually been to one music concert recently (The Chainsmokers in Edinburgh – do not judge me people). However, when I heard that one of the cooler bands I like, The Kooks, were coming to Usher Hall on the 23rd of November I just knew I had to burst out of the bubble and give them a listen. Plus, it’s been a while since I danced like an idiot.

You’d have to have been living under a musical rock to not know who the Kooks are, or at least not recognize a couple of their more popular songs. For instance, does ‘She Moves in Her Own Way’ or “Always Where I Need to Be’ ring any bells? This current tour that they’re on is to celebrate their 10 years together as a band and is entitled ‘The Best of….So Far’ tour, implying there are far more classic hits to come.

There was one small problem for all of you Kooks fans who were just dying to join me in my voyage to Edinburgh – the cost of tickets. Originally stall tickets were on sale for a relative steal of £35. However due to the immense popularity of The Kooks these sold out pretty quickly, and as the event neared tickets were few and far between. And what tickets were left were certainly not a steal. Friends of mine were able to get their tickets for retail, or at least close to retail price, but since I joined the party late I was only able to get my hands on tickets that were being resold. Not only were these a lot more expensive (think double the price of normal tickets) but add on website fees and tax and suddenly the price jumped to over £100. And since the concert is in the evening that means you’ll also be set back finding and potentially paying for a place to stay. Suddenly the small trip to Edinburgh seems to be not so small.

Prices aside, however, The Kooks are a band that was more than worth the trip. With such a big name it’s unsurprising that they cost so much to see. So now my debit card has taken the hit it’s time for me to sit back, relax and spool through what I can remember of dancing like an idiot.