At the turn of the millennium, Fight Club leapt into the annals of cinema history. It questioned the cult of consumerism, the constructs of toxic masculinity, and the need for rebellion in a stifled society. Perhaps most crucially, it challenged the modern notion that two consenting adults cannot punch each other. This revolutionary spirit characterises the ancient sport of boxing, a pastime popularised by pay-per-view fights. This year, twenty students will step into the ring, just as Mayweather and McGregor have before them, in the name of the newly established St Andrews Fight Club.

Spearheaded by Harry Bremner, the initiative is outwardly simple in scope. Students with an interest in boxing or physical fitness can apply, either as individuals or in pairs, for an intensive twelve week training course with veteran fighter Mark Navarro. The course, while free, does come at a cost: At two sessions a week, the program is no idle journey. By the semester’s end, each participant will be in the best shape of his or her life – primed and ready for the ultimate event.

St Andrews Fight Club: Applications

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPENPlease provide an accurate measurement of your height and weight. If you are applying as a pair you can specify your opponent's name on the form.Applications are open until Friday the 13th. If you have any enquiries, feel free to message the page.APPLICATION FORM:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfd7hUnG7ykjmfxeArFto0kcyh3UmL755j7Hy8zd7uiskuL9w/viewform?c=0&w=1

Posted by St Andrews Fight Club on Friday, October 6, 2017

Held in April at a yet-to-be disclosed location, the boxing championship promises to be a night like no other. Not only will students be paired based off physical stats – height, weight, etc – but also off personal relationships. Therein lies the allure of the battles, the “grudge match” nature of flatmate versus flatmate. In comparison to larger universities (such as Edinburgh, which holds a similar event), the small town nature of St Andrews will handily facilitate personal connections amongst the fighters. Ten fights will be held throughout the night, resulting in ten individual champions.

Harry is joined by Joe Murray and Josh Hopkins, who respectively run the promotional and training aspects of the tournament. The three students emphasise the event’s professional and ambitious nature, accurately describing it as like nothing this university has ever seen before. And while boxing is frequently referred to as a male sport, female students are highly encouraged to apply. The physical and mental benefits of the training program would immeasurably improve the wellbeing of any participant, boy or girl.

Applications open this Friday 8th October. Whether interested in fighting or joining the hundreds of spectators, everyone ought to like St Andrews Fight Club on Facebook for updates.