I’m all for any excuse for day drinking, and so Luvians 20th Anniversary wine fair seemed like the perfect event for me to attend. And with over 200 wines, beers, spirits and ciders to try day drunk was certainly a state I achieved. Each vendor was given their own table and on it had a selection of up to twenty wines. And with over 10 tables that means there was a lot of wine to taste. All of the vendors were absolutely lovely and really friendly, happy to teach me the different grape varieties in each wine as well as what food to pair each one with.

Special mention has to go to Alexander and ABS wines, who had not one but two separate game of thrones inspired wines that was delicious and sweet, almost like a moscato (Dragon stone Riesling if anyone is interested). Although you were only allowed to try each wine once, the event organizers made sure no one got too drunk by providing delicious focaccia at each table, as well as sandwiches from the luvians store midway through to line the belly of each slightly tipsy student. But the highlight wasn’t just the wine, it was the fact each vendor was willing to explain the process of how the selected this wine to try, and why they chose to bring it to show at Scotland’s oldest independent wine fair. These people are so passionate about what they do that they’re just dying to impart their knowledge, even on a slightly confused wine novice like me. I learnt about the different effects soil has on the grapes, when are good years and bad years, how the seasons affected the taste of the wine and so forth. So not only did I get to get drunk but I get to learn something new at each table.

The only issue I encountered was that the event was slightly overcrowded, an issue that’s faced by all the other spirit and wine tastings in the town hall. Frequently you’d have to queue for ages just to get to the next table, and then you’d be interrupted midway through the tasting by the next batch of people wanting to try their share. But short of militarizing and regulating movement through the hall there’s really no way this could be avoided, and the freedom to roam was something that appealed to me, particularly since my love of wine does not extend to reds. Overall the event was a raging success, with a high turn out, friendly vendors and above all brilliant and varied wine selection. You can really tell that the vendors wanted the most variety in their wine choices, and it was an exciting experience to be able to try wines that I as a broke student will probably never try again. Luvians did however make the effort of placing a lot of affordable wines on offer for us students who can’t imagine spending over £20 on a bottle, something that was made even better by the offer that on the day the wines were cheaper than they would be in store. In conclusion, however boring and middle aged a wine tasting sounds, it’s still an opportunity to get day drunk and maybe even learn something, and therefore for me a good day.