The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide has placed the University of St Andrews as the third best university in the UK.

St Andrews is beaten only by the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford which placed first and second respectively.

This makes St Andrews the best University in Scotland according to the guide.

The University further improved on the previous year’s placing of fifth.

St Andrews far surpassed its closest Scottish rival, the University of Edinburgh, by 17 places, and the University of Glasgow by 21.

Welcoming the news, St Andrews Principal Sally Mapstone said, “This is an extremely heartening result for St Andrews, and we think a good result for Scotland. Scottish universities have performed very strongly in this Guide, in many cases improving their ranking despite considerable competition from elsewhere.

“Higher education is one of the ways in which Scotland excels on an international stage, and we are delighted that St Andrews has proved again that the Scottish system can hold its own with the very best.”

“To be ranked top in this country and third in the UK again completes a very successful year for this university. St Andrews is currently the leading university in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2017, and secured a Gold Award, the highest possible, in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), a new assessment of the quality of teaching and the undergraduate experience at universities across the UK.”

In June this year, the University of St Andrews received a “Gold” award in the new ranking system, the TEF.

Alastair McCall, editor of the Good University Guide said, “A second successive University of the Year award for St Andrews speaks volumes about the quality of student life on the Fife coast.

“Last year’s award for teaching quality has been followed up with success as our University of the Year for Student Experience.”