The Principal of the University, Professor Sally Mapstone confirmed this morning the death of student Sarah McCluskey in an email sent to students and staff.

In the email she said, “I’m very sorry to have to inform you of the sudden death of one of our students. Sarah McCluskey, who was studying English with us, passed away in St Andrews last week. She was 20.

I know that her loss has come as an unimaginable shock to her family in Kirkintilloch, her friends at home and in St Andrews and the staff who taught her”.

Professor Mapstone expressed her sympathies for Ms McCluskey’s family and friends at this time, saying that Student Services have been in contact and are offering support.

The email continued: “Sarah was a bright and inquisitive student who came to us from Lenzie Academy in 2014 to begin an Honours degree in Biology. Her heart however lay in literature, poetry in particular, and she confessed to friends that she’d opted for a science degree as it seemed to her the more logical start in life.

Last year, she switched to begin an Honours English degree to pursue her dream of becoming an author writing poetry for a living. Her friends say that Sarah, who loved reading and writing poetry, was visibly more content after the swap to English and had greatly enjoyed the texts she came across in her first year.

She was passionate about expressing herself, was acquiring an impressive collection of tattoos and would dye her hair every colour under the sun”.

Professor Mapstone added that the funeral will take place this Friday (8 September) at the Kirkintilloch Baptist Church, 52 Townhead, Kirkintilloch at 12:15pm. All family and friends are welcome to attend.