Opening Ball prepares to welcome the class of 2021

Natasha Franks previews the Kate Kennedy Club Opening Ball.

0

Nothing best exemplifies the great St Andrews tradition than Opening Ball. The first of many Lower College Lawn events, the evening begins with a champagne reception, set to the classically Scottish tunes of a nearby Highlander Piper. Inside, guests can find free cotton candy, Jannettas ice cream, and popcorn to temper their hunger. More substantial food options will also be available for a small price – including BlackHorn, purveyor of the finest burgers and wraps in town.

Guests will have no trouble finding drink to complement their food. Ball convenor Isabela Campos de Almeida has arranged an extended outside marquee, featuring an extra bar. Fans of the Union will be gratified to learn that Pablos (a mixture of vodka and VK) will be available for purchase. Cash is recommended for both the bar and the food trucks.

When not eating or drinking, guests will certainly flock to the dance floor. Headlining the night is 8-BIT, one of Mexico’s most recognised DJ duos. Currently playing in London’s iconic Cuckoo Club and Project, 8-BIT have made an international name for themselves behind the decks. On a more personal note, DJ Ashton Squires will be returning for one final performance. During his time at St Andrews, Asquire presided over the town’s biggest nights out, whether at the Vic or Kinkell Byre. His temporary return will allow freshers a taste of St Andrews at its absolute best.

Spearheaded by Isabela Campos de Almeida, the ball itself is the flagship event of the Kate Kennedy Club, the 91 year-old custodians of town traditions. In addition to Opening Ball, the ladies and gentlemen of the Club organise May Ball, the Kate Kennedy Procession, and the Gaudie, among other historical events. Each event is held to benefit local Fife charities, one of the Club’s primary goals since its formation in 1926. As Isabela states, “There is truly no better event to welcome freshers in the proper St Andrews style!”

Tickets are available for purchase on the Union website.