Every election is the chance to shape the future – your future, my future, our country’s future. The future is uncertain, with an unlimited series of possibilities. The vision of our future is not – the Scottish National Party (SNP) is a party that has a bold and ambitious vision of the type of society that we want to live in. A society where you are accepted for who you are, whether you are black or white, homosexual or straight, religious or secular. This vision for our country is one of inclusivity and progressivism, of independence and prosperity, of liberty, equality and fraternity – liberal values which are at the heart of Scotland, the UK, and Europe. It is a vision where we seek to get the best possible deal during the Brexit negotiations, for Scotland and the United Kingdom.

We believe in maintaining our links with Europe, especially in academia where nationality plays no role in the discovery of new ideas and endless possibilities. The SNP want to attract the best and brightest to our universities, whilst also guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals to stay in our country. These people are your friends, your colleagues, your neighbours; they are people who have a right to live here and be part of our Scottish society and identity.

It is a vision where we seek to get the best possible deal during the Brexit negotiations, for Scotland and the United Kingdom.

But the SNP are divisive are they not? The people spoke in 2014 – we voted No! Why do the SNP persist in the delusion of a free and independent Scotland, where Scotland’s decisions are made by the people of Scotland and not the lords of Westminster? The answer is simple. We persist because we believe that the best future for the people of Scotland is independence. We respect the result of the referendum in 2014 and we have got on with the day job. In 2016, we were elected in the Scottish parliament with the highest share of the vote on a manifesto that stated that if there were a material change in circumstances, such as Scotland being forced to leave the EU against our will, then the people of Scotland should have the right to hold another independence referendum.

We are committed to meeting our manifesto promises as our record in the Scottish government has demonstrated since 2007 – we have protected free tuition fees for Scottish and EU citizens and abolished prescription charges. We have the best performing A&E service in the UK and Higher exam passes are up by a third. More people are in employment than the pre-recession high point and we outperform the rest of the UK on female employment and inactivity rates, whilst productivity growth in Scotland is four times as fast as the UK (as measured by output per hour worked). We lowered the voting age to allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote in local council and Holyrood elections and recorded crime is at its lowest level in 42 years – the list of achievements goes on and on and on.

The SNP knows how to run a government, and it knows how to hold one to account. In the 2015 General Election, 56 of Scotland’s 59 seats were won by the SNP and they have done their jobs superbly as the most effective opposition to the Tories and austerity policies. Stephen Gethins, who won this constituency in 2015 and is running again, has been widely praised by the media and by members of other parties for his ability and diligence.  Mhairi Black, who overturned Labour’s Douglas Alexander’s 16,614 majority, has been a vocal critic of the Tory governments policies against women and those who have been hurt the most by the savagery of the Tories austerity cuts. Angus Robertson, deputy leader of the SNP, has been an imposing presence at Prime Minister’s Questions, regularly putting the Prime Minister on the spot and forcing the Tories to defend the indefensible. We are not a party of division as Labour regularly is, nor are we a party of austerity and xenophobia as the Conservatives seemingly seek to be. We are a party with a positive vision, a party of equality, a party that stands up for the people and serves the people.

there are only two choices in North-East Fife – the regressive Tories or the progressive SNP

Due to the nature of First Past The Post, there are only two choices in North-East Fife – the regressive Tories or the progressive SNP. Polls suggest this seat will be tight and it could come down to just a few hundred votes. On the 8 June, your future is in your hands; at the ballot box, the pen is mightier than the sword. Use your vote to re-elect Stephen Gethins in North-East Fife; if you are voting elsewhere in Scotland use your vote to elect an SNP member of parliament who will listen to you and stand up for your concerns. On the 8 June, take the chance to shape your future and vote for the SNP.