It was confirmed yesterday that Wayne Henderson has been appointed by the University of St Andrews Football Club as the new goalkeeping coach.

Henderson, recently let go by Raith Rovers following their relegation to Scottish League One, brings a bevy of experience to the role having spent over 15 years as a goalkeeping coach.

Aside from his time spent with Raith, where he helped the club lift the Challenge Cup in 2014, Henderson has worked extensively in grass roots football and also internationally, having spent time working with Scottish Women’s Team. It is believed that this wealth of experience will vastly aid the club and it is somewhat of a coup for the University to have recruited someone of Henderson’s quality.

A local man, born in Newport, Henderson has witnessed the University football club’s extensive recent progress in and in an exclusive interview with Saints Sport, he said he hopes to help continue that development by working alongside Director of Football Stuart Milne.

Henderson was quick to point out that he wants the goalkeepers to enjoy themselves whilst playing for the University, stressing that happier players will perform better. It was clear to see the enthusiasm Henderson has for his new role and he will put that to good effect in pre-season and in his desired aim to help build a “Goalkeeping DNA” at the University.