If there is ever an example of how much difference a mere few days can make in the world of politics, the past two weeks are a shining example. President Trump’s decision to order US warships to launch 59 tomahawk missiles onto President Assad’s airbase in Syria provoked shock and outrage around the globe. The attack came in response to Assad’s attack on Syrian citizens in the town of Khan Sheikhoun. Speaking about the attack, Trump gave a statement from his estate Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, saying, “Tonight, I ordered a targeted military strike on the air base in Syria from where the chemical attack was launched. It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons”. This a major shift from Trump’s policy during his presidency campaign, where he affirmed that he was against the U.S. taking military action in Syria.
The airstrike is the first direct military action taken by America against the regime of President Assad during Syria’s civil war, which has lasted for six years. It later was estimated by Syria’s armed forces that six people were killed during the attack.
More recently, Trump has spoken with Chinese president, Xi Jinping, about North Korea’s nuclear programme. President Xi reportedly stated that the issue should be solved in a
peaceful manner.
However, in an interview earlier that evening with Fox Business Network, Trump stated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was making a mistake with his own nuclear programme, and declared that “We are sending an armada. Very powerful. We have submarines. Very powerful. Far more powerful than the aircraft carrier.”
For now, we cannot knowwhether this is merely an empty threat, or whether an attack on North Korea far deadlier than the Syrian strike will come to fruition in the near future.