Szentek wishes us a happy April Fool’s

0

Just a few months ago, Szentek’s ruin bar experience surprised everyone in St Andrews, breaking the rules of the typical event with a fresh, exciting, and incredibly fun night of great music and wonderful art. The event was a huge success and generated enthusiasm among all those in attendance. The presence of internationally famous DJ Wankelmut was just one highlight of the night.

It is not surprising, therefore, that the creator of Szentek, Charley Drover, decided not only to bring it back to life, but make it even bigger and better, this time with the support of a full committee. The Friday 1 April launch marked the comeback of what is bound to become one of the most anticipated events in town, and expectations were certainly high. Tickets sold out in less than 48 hours, with people eagerly looking forward to once again experiencing the unique atmosphere Szentek is able to create.

The location – the One Under Gastro Pub, which is part of the Macdonald Rusacks Hotel – was divided into two rooms where various DJs alternated to meet different musical tastes. This choice was not random, but due to the fact that one of the purposes of the event is to be as inclusive as possible in terms of vibes, music, and price. Szentek’s focus, apart from music (now curated by James Peel, who is already working on the acts for the next events) is certainly visual art. As with Kinkell Byre back in November, the One Under received a total makeover, which turned it from a classic British-style pub into an artistic nirvana and emblem of beautiful, provocative art. It was impossible to forget the art featured at Szentek’s original event: the giant piece of white cloth where a kiss between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton was painted in black and colourful little aliens painted on cardboard. Both artworks were displayed again at the latest launch, together with others made specifically for this event, including broken fans, rubber dinghies, and a red LED installation.

Theodora Chia, head of creative, said the concept was, once again, to let art be a medium for self-expression. This is why there were no restriction in the creation of the pieces. Everything was a contribution to the spirit of Szentek. The high expectations of the night were completely met, making people even more excited for what is happen-ing next with the committee. “One thing that’s sure,” Mr Drover said, “[is] it’s definitely going to be bigger and better.”