Scotland’s top university is the University of St Andrews, according to a new league table published today (Wednesday 26 April).

The Complete University Guide 2018 ranks St Andrews top in Scotland and third in the United Kingdom. St Andrews secured its highest ever position in the able, beaten only by Oxford and Cambridge.

Of the 70 subjects that the rankings cover, St Andrews featuring in the top ten for 23, occupying the top UK spot in two (Business & Management Studies and Middle Eastern & African Studies).

Welcoming the news, Principal Professor Sally Mapstone said: “This all-time high is a great endorsement of what St Andrews stands for. Our values are those of a small, Scottish, and highly international university. We are outward looking, inclusive and focused on excellence.

“We see teaching quality and research excellence as commensurate, and we provide them in an environment that is beautiful, friendly and enriching.

We see teaching quality and research excellence as commensurate, and we provide them in an environment that is beautiful, friendly and enriching.

“That Scottish universities have done so well in three of the key measures here is notable. Brexit and its consequences notwithstanding, Scottish universities will strive to continue to out-perform, and we look for meaningful support to enable us to do so.”

Principal Sally Mapstone welcomed the news, Photo: Kylie Andrews

Congratulating staff and students at the University, MP for North East Fife Stephen Gethins said: “The University of St Andrews is a world-leading institution with leadership of the highest calibre and teaching of an extremely high quality.

“This is reflected in tremendous academic achievement and student satisfaction. Being given third place in the rankings, and the top spot in Scotland, is testament to all of the hard work that goes on and shows just what a great asset the University is to this area.”

Dr Bernard Kingston, Chairman of TheCompleteUniversityGuide.co.uk, explained: “It is ten years since the guide launched its online university league tables, and they have proved their accuracy, independence and robustness over the decade.

“This year there is a considerable degree of stability at the upper end of the league table, as in the past. This stability, while it may not attract the headlines, demonstrates that the rankings fulfil our principal objective – to provide credible and freely accessible information for individuals seeking a university place.”