As per usual, the weeks since the last “political round up” have been filled with typically flashy headlines and unpredictable events that have kept people focused on the
topical.
Though as a person of this generation this is not at all surprising, for the past couple of weeks especially, all wannabe university political pundits (myself included) have spent their mornings scrolling through their various apps to find the juiciest Trump related gossip.
This is all well and good if you are seeking a good chin wag in line for your latte at Taste, but in the grand scheme of things it will be mostly useless information in a few days.
The insistent focus on micro-news (trademark pending) really has only become relevant in the 24 hour CNN society we live in. Not all of these sound bites are irrelevant – they can help us piece together a better image of the political milieu in which we reside – however, they have largely blinded us to the more logical way to look at things.
It seems that this focus on micro-news has forced us to chat about politics in a bottom up approach, though I think even that is generous. We all chat about our daily grievances with the system and throw around a few sentences that resemble political discussion, but focus on our emotional and gut reactions to things.
The extrapolations made from these discussions of events tend to be tenuous and largely completely useless in solving any of the issues that aforementioned headlines have shed
light on. Why have people abandoned the old ways of political discourse?
Sitting in smoky rooms, having lengthy discussions on theory and policy, making speeches with Churchillian rhetoric – actually trying to solve issues from their roots instead of complaining as we walk to class because it is now a faux pas to chat about the weather.
Why has politics become something we give as much thought to as choosing what colour Pablo we order at the Union?
Supplanting the previously described sessions that aim at solving a problem with casual whining about such serious aspects of society is not fair to anyone, including ourselves.
We are all better than that. We are all at a brilliant university and have the capacity to solve issues if we put the necessary effort in.
I hate to break it to all the wannabe revolutionaries in KY16, but I highly doubt Voltaire was making sure everyone knew he was upset over his cafe au lait (even though historically cafes were sites of political theorizing). He at least had the motivation to formulate some sort of solution.
I suggest we all make an effort to return to the old ways of discourse that allowed for progress instead of relying on what is now a fashionable way to express one’s grievances.
Then again, I myself am sitting here complaining about the politics of politics, expressing my frustrations with the general public, so maybe we do all need the occasional
vent in order to stay sane.