1.)   John Green – Though lacking in readership compared to John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars or Gayle Forman’s If I Stay, Jay Asher’s New Times Bestseller, 13 Reasons Why, is one of the most honest and moving Young Adult novels to emerge in recent years. Dealing with serious topics such as teen suicide, this mysterious drama, is to be adapted into a 13-episode miniseries which will surely not disappoint fans of the novel as producers have made it their top priority to ensure it remains faithful to the original.

2.)   The story – The novel follows Clay Jensen who returns home from school to find a mysterious box labeled with his name lying on his front porch. Inside he finds 13 cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush, who committed suicide two weeks prior. Clay finds that he is not the first person to listen to these tapes and that once he listens to them, he must pass the tapes on to other people who influenced Hannah’s decision. On these tapes, Hannah explains the 13 reasons why she decided to end her life.

3.)   Star factor – Selena Gomez read the novel that the new Netflix series is based on, and along with her mother Mandy Teffey and producer Kristel Laiblin, approached Anonymous Content to turn the novel into a screen adaption. Gomez stated that the emotional thriller, woven with deep accounts of isolation and betrayal, resonated with her own accounts of anxiety and depression. Wanting to bring her own passion to these subjects, Selena decided to join the project.

4.)   Strong message – Originally, when the novel was set up as a film adaption by Universal Studios, in 2011, Selena Gomez was set to star as Hannah Baker. Instead, the decision was made to turn the adaption over to Netflix where Selena will now take on a role behind the camera as an executive producer for the show with her mother, Mandy Teefey. The production team felt that Gomez’s fame would distract from the true message behind the novel and show.

5.)  Faithful adaptation- There will be 13 episodes in total for the first series. As there are 13 cassette tapes for each part of Hannah Baker’s story leading up to her suicide. Each episode will focus on one cassette tape and one person who influenced Hannah’s life. This decision was made when the adaption was moved from a movie to a miniseries to accurately depict the novel in its new form.

6.)   Famous faces – Dylan Minnette will be playing the role of Clay Jensen. Fans of Lost, Grey’s Anatomy, and Scandal will be pleased to know that he has acted in these shows as well.

7.)   Fresh Meat – Most of the show’s cast hosts many new promising faces including Katherine Langford who will be playing the role of Hannah Baker. But producers have compared the likes of these actors to casts such as Freaks and Geeks and My So-Called Life who ensure that cast members depict characters in the novel to their full potential.

8.) Thriller – Fans of mystery thrillers such as Gone Girl will surely appreciate the themes of the show. The plot line, of the female character who controls every event in dark ways (despite her notable absence) draws many similarities between these two stories.

9.) The director – Oscar winner Tom McCarthy will be directing the first two episodes of the miniseries as well as taking a role as executive producer to the show. Other projects he has participated in are, Game of Thrones, as producer to the wildly popular television show, as well as story writer for Disney’s highly rated 2007 animated film Up.

10.) The writing – The script will also surely fail to disappoint viewers as Brian Yorkey, Tony and Pulitzer Prize winner, will be writing the script. Another reason why the story was moved from on-screen to Netflix was that Yorkey felt that he could not make the characters three-dimensional enough as a movie script. An hour for each of the thirteen stories will allow proper attention to each character. One of the differences that Yorkey and the other producers agreed on was to expand the novel to a story focused on the present instead of the past. Originally, the novel takes place in a single night and focused on Hannah’s life while she was alive. Instead, the show decided to focus on the living characters as they navigate the consequences of Hannah’s decision to end her life in the present.

11.) The duo – 13 Reasons Why will mark the first collaboration between Tom McCarthy and Brian d’Arcy James since the two worked together on the Academy Award winning movie Spotlight in 2015.

12.) Binging is beautiful – In this busy season, of last minute deadline and the preparation for exams, 13 Reasons Why will be a quick and easy binge watch on Netflix as all episodes will be released at once at the small number of 13 episodes.

13.) The Netflix miniseries has just been released on UK Netflix March 31