Director of Representation (DoRep) is largely regarded as the most demanding sabbatical position besides Association President. Students who hold the role log countless hours as they attempt to fulfill the obligations of a position responsible for student representation at all levels of the University, educational practices, and widening access across the board.

For the past year, Jack Carr has dutifully executed the duties of the DoRep role. Critics throughout his career, including The Saint, cannot deny Mr Carr’s enthusiasm and dedication to the position.

Director of Education and Director of Wellbeing

Mr Carr’s biggest accomplishment was his successful campaign to divide the DoRep role into two separate positions with clear remits. Nominations are now open for the freshly created positions of Director of Education (DoEd) and Director of Wellbeing (DoWell).

Mr Carr emphasised that splitting the DoRep position had not been a campaign priority, but it quickly topped the list once he took office and discovered how truly demanding the position was.

“We have a big liability shoving it all onto one person. […] I perceived it as a risk and I did not want to have any more risk to it,” he said.

The creation of the new positions required extensive coordination with the University and a lengthy white paper to obtain both funding and approval for the new position.

In order to prove the roles must be split, Mr Carr tested the limits of how much he had to work to meet the demands of being DoRep.

“I worked flat out in first semester, which is why these hours got racked up, to establish if I throw everything at it, can I fulfill every aspect of this job,” he explained. “I think the answer is no.”

Mr Carr added that the sheer number of meetings and emails often meant that there was not enough time in the week to complete every task.

The new sabbatical positions will allow future officers to focus more time and energy on the areas of education and wellbeing.

Education

One of Mr Carr’s significant manifesto items was his aim to standardise academic policies in the event of extenuating circumstances such as academic leave There are currently more than a dozen different policies spread across different academic schools.

Mr Carr stated during his campaign that this goal was motivated by a personal experience with the system.

“At the moment, it’s a bit of a maze, and it’s confusing. […] I want there to be one guideline document that can be used by staff and students,” he said.

Though he has worked to develop a solution over the past eight months, Mr Carr cited staffing challenges in the proctor’s office as the reason he has not completed this particular project. However, he expressed optimism that his plan will come to fruition.

“There is a lot of good will in the proctor’s office for the things that we are doing. […] The realistic prospect of me bringing this in is very low, but the possibility of the next Director of Education using the policy I have written is very high,” he said.

Representation

Mr Carr largely fulfilled the lofty campaign promise that he would respond to all emails within 24 hours. Not only did he maintain strong digital communication with those he represents, but Mr Carr always made time for student meetings.

Final Assessment

Thanks to his sincere commitment to the role, Jack Carr’s time as DoRep has been one of consistent progress for the University and its students. Despite his concerns, Mr Carr has done well to evenly split resources among the areas of education, representation, and wellbeing and has proved his superior competence by successfully splitting his role into two. With thousands of hours logged and a nearly completed list of promises made during his campaign, Jack Carr shows that his commitment to the student body of St Andrews is not merely a public face. He is a fitting final Director of Representation.