A St Andrews man is standing trial charged with the rape and murder of his sister. The accused, Charles Gordon, is purported to have attacked Elizabeth Bowe at a house in St
Andrews last September.
The prosecution has put forth that Ms Bowe was likely strangled with a dressing gown and bag over her head. The official murder charge alleges that this did “restrict her breathing.”
Mr Gordon also stands accused of a third charge: behaving in a threatening manner to police services two days after the original incident. The first preliminary hearing took place at the High Court in Glasgow on 8
January.
Mr Gordon has denied the allegations of rape and murder. His lawyer, Calum Weir, pleaded not guilty onMr Gordon’s behalf in regards to the third charge of behaving in a threatening manner to police.
The full trial is due to begin in Livingston in May. The case is expect ed to last up to six days.
On 17 September 2016, Ms Bowe was found unconscious in her flat, located on Bobby Jones Place, at approximately 9 pm. She was taken to the Ninewells Hospital in Dundee but died from her inuries three days later.
Detective Inspector Rory Hamilton from Police Scotland expressed condolences to the victim’s family in a public statement shortly after her death.
It also emerged that Ms Bowe’s partner, Robert Cunningham, was arrested over a previous alleged assault on Ms Bowe. Just a week before her death, a special petition was applied at court which barred Mr Cunningham from communicating with her.
The Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC) is currently investigating the police response to the alleged attack, which was deemed unacceptable by the office.
Police Scotland is requesting that anyone with any information about the incident contact investigators by calling 101.