On the evening of 1 February, members of The Saint committee, writers, and friends arrived at the Adamson to celebrate the launch of our new website and redesigned print edition. After a busy couple of weeks working on the redesign, the editorial team had earned a relaxing evening! This much-anticipated evening coincided with the 20th anniversary of the very first issue of The Saint.

The Adamson is a popular place with students, tourists, and locals alike, and is consistently rated as one of the top eateries in town by online review sites. Founded in 2012, the Adamson has quickly achieved award-winning status as Scottish Restaurant of the Year in 2015, and more recently Restaurant of the Year Casual Dining 2016 award.

The adjacent Adamson Bar, opened in 2015, is situated in a building with an unusual history.  At one point, the building was used as a post office, and today’s cocktail bar is situated in what was once the old sorting room. Prior to this, the property was once the home of St Andrews doctor and pioneer of photography, Dr John Adamson; the Adamson’s signature cocktail, “The Physician,” is a nod to this chapter of the property’s history. This history, combined with award-winning food and an innovative drinks menu, makes it easy to see why the Adamson has become a firm favourite.

The cocktail bar is also growing in popularity as a student events venue. Concrete Catwalk, the DONT WALK Charity Fashion Show, and Label are among the society-sponsored fashion events that have recently taken place in the Adamson. The Investment Society hosted their welcome drinks just one day after our event there. Hosting an event at a venue like the Adamson allows a refreshing take on St Andrews nightlife. It’s not as stuffy or formal as most balls and their venues, and is a quite a few shades more refined and relaxed than a wild night in the Union.

While it may not be the largest venue in town – The Rule or Forgan’s, for example, would probably be better for a larger party – what the Adamson lacks in a dance floor, it makes up for with an intimate and cosy ambience against which many other venues in town simply cannot compete.

Just because it is a cocktail bar does not mean it has to be an expensive evening. In fact, the menu at The Saint’s anniversary and redesign party featured cocktails priced exclusively at five pounds, which is no more expensive than going out for drinks at the Beacon Bar.

What really made the night a success, however, was the exceptionally helpful management team at the Adamson. Nothing, it seems, was too much trouble for them. Not only did they allow us to bring our own balloons and posters, and decorate the bar ahead of time, but they also designed a drinks menu which included our newly updated logo and featured our signature drink: “The Saint.” We were provided a microphone for speeches – special mention has to go to our business manager, Mimi Cook, who gave a great speech thanking Editor Meilan Solly for all of her hard work in recent weeks – and we were even allowed to create our own playlist for the evening. It is this level of personalisation that makes an event special, and the management at the Adamson deserve credit for so unreservedly recognising this.

For those who did not manage to come along to our event a couple of weeks ago, look forward to more student-run events at the Adamson throughout the semester, such as the upcoming St John’s Drinks hosted by Companions of the Order of Malta on 23 February.

With its prime location in the heart of St Andrews at 127 South Street, it is just a quick, stumbling trip round the corner to the Union or the Vic, allowing partygoers to continue their revelries well into the early hours of the morning.

This piece was written in remuneration for the Saint’s use of the Adamson’s facilities. The Adamson had no editorial input on this piece.