malia nus president

A cross-party parliamentary investigation into the comments of the President of the National Union of Students (NUS) has found her to be “racist.”

Malia Bouattia, who was elected NUS president in April this year, has been repeatedly accused of anti-Semitism by the Jewish student community for her remarks on “Zionist” politics on campus.

The investigation further concluded that the NUS has failed to take seriously a growing culture of anti-Semitism on campuses.

Ms Bouattia has categorically denied the allegations against her, instead citing that media outlets wrongly labelled her “a racist, an anti- Semite, an Islamic State sympathiser, and more.”

The report which was formulated by MPs from both sides of the bench as members of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee highlighted a number of allegations made against the Union President, as part of a wider investigation into the “growing prevalence” of anti-Semitic hate crimes in the UK.

The report references comments made in a recorded speech at a conference in 2014 on “Gaza and the Palestinian Revolution”, in which Ms Bouattia stated: “With mainstream Zionist-led media outlets… resistance is resented as an act of terrorism.”

Furthermore, in a co-authored article in 2011, Ms Bouattia referred to the University of Birmingham as being “something of a Zionist outpost in British higher education.”

The group of MPs stated that: “The current President of the National Union of Students, Malia Bouattia, does not appear to take sufficiently seriously the issue of anti-Semitism on campus, and has responded to Jewish students’ concerns about her previous language with defensiveness and an apparent unwillingness to listen to their concerns.”

Responding to the select committee report, the Union of Jewish Students (UJS) said it welcomed the in-depth criticism of the NUS president.

A spokesperson said: “It tells the world what so many Jewish students have been saying for some time.

“As the report makes clear, the national president of NUS should not be making the kind of abhorrent and unacceptable comments that she has previously made.

“Her inability to fully represent all parts of the student population is disgraceful, and for no part of the student population is this truer than for Jewish students. The evidence outlined in the report all points to the fact that the NUS national president treats Jewish students’ concerns differently to those of others, proving that there’s one rule for Jewish students, another for everyone else.”

1. I agree – Malia must go. Her type of rhetoric is poison, and the denials of the allegations against her – when her antisemitism is so overt, means she is totally unsuitable for this position.