Preview: The Autumnal Arts Festival

0
Image: Olga Loza
Image: Olga Loza

The Autumnal Arts Festival began in my mind as means of creating something a bit different from the usual events Music is Love host. I wanted to bring together the cosiness of the Art Society’s creative lock-in and the energy of the Music is Love open mics (two of my very favourite events) into one wonderful night of drinking tea, and watching some of the best student music talent that our little town has to offer.

As deadline season rages on, I wanted to offer an alternative evening activity which allows people to get out and socialise without costing time, money and their sobriety. We decided to run the event on a donation basis, meaning that we are (hopefully) able to take our dedicated performers out for a dinner to thank them, without compromising the student music team’s ethos of bringing small, free music performances to the people of St. Andrews.

Our line-up consists of some real gems, including MIL’s very own Casper Sanderson who’s original song ‘Blue’ will have you tearing up (honestly, it is the sweetest, most humble song I have ever heard.) He will be followed by Natasha Jenkins, who’s angelic voice regularly graces the streets of Glasgow. She has promised to play a few Fleetwood Mac covers, so I couldn’t be more excited. Then you can expect a set from Colin Paton who’s engaging performance at our first Live Lounge left everybody speechless. We also have our wonderful MIL veteran, Amy Hill, performing later on in the evening. Her soulfully nuanced voice and insightful lyrics will melt away all your academic stress leaving you as mellow as a marshmallow. Just when you’re feeling totally relaxed, we have the six-piece blues-funk band Too This for That to take us home. They are brand new to the music scene here in St Andrews and with the perfect combination of the wonderfully talented Thomas Hackett on saxophone, and the energetic vocals of Guy Harvey, you’ll be itching to get up and dance.

Art Society are going to be there with various marrows and pumpkins and other such Autumnal things for still-life drawing, as well as one of my personal favourite activities, bottle decorating. Inklight’s wonderful poetry performances will be interspersed between our live music acts and if you fancy trying your hand at a bit of creative writing, they will also be running one of their amazing work-shops!

So, if you love live music, art and poetry, the Barron Theatre is the place to be on Thursday night. Wear your cosiest jumper, bring your sketchbooks, work or just yourself and don’t forget a mug so you can enjoy a warm cup of tea whilst celebrating the best season of the year.