Surprise cinema box office this summer

0
Cinema Icons
Illustration: Freepik.com
Cinema Icons
Illustration: Freepik.com

We may have found Dory but we’re still searching for Cara Delevingne’s acting skills.

Cast your mind back to the start of summer when anything was possible. Perhaps you were planning parties, family holidays… or maybe just a Netflix marathon and the opportunity to stay in your pyjamas for 24 hours. If you form part of the latter group, you may have seen some of the box office hits and misses that have graced us over the past three months.

However, if you were one of the lucky ones who spent the summer getting sand stuck in your hair or increasing your chances of melanoma, here is a taste of the releases you may not have caught.

Finding Dory

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 94%

If you didn’t get too distracted by how adorable baby Dory was, you may have noticed this film was actually not disappointing – and it has the Rotten Tomatoes rating to prove it.

Anyone who fell in love with Finding Nemo was probably nervously anticipating this film since the release was announced back in April 2013. It seems the only ones who weren’t satisfied were the children too young to remember good-natured Dory from 2003 when she made her first appearance on screen.

Thank you to Disney and Pixar for recognising who the true star of the original film was, even if it did take you 13 years. Also thank you to Ellen DeGeneres just for being you. Idea for next sequel: Finding Gerald the sea lion?

Me Before You

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 58%

A mid table finish. Landing itself somewhere below the impressive box office of Finding Dory, Me Before You has won itself the title of being not too bad but not too great either.

Watching Emilia Clarke play a more relatable character than Daenerys Targaryen was refreshing. Her struggles with finding a job and making social blunders are familiar to most students but seemed to take something away from the sensitive issue of living with disability that the film tried to tackle.

Sam Claflin proved he is not just eye candy, though I’m sure some of us focused on that anyway. To conclude, the starring pair was wonderful together but the plot might have been a bit more layered.

The Conjuring 2

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 80%

If you watched this in the cinema, this film definitely made you jump. The infamous nun from the first movie made a theatrical return, although it was not as captivating if you watched it on your computer screen.

If you’ve got some time to kill, watch the original interviews with the Hodgson family about the happenings of the Enfield haunting. Yes, that means this was based on true events (although often believed to be false) and if Janet’s real life voices doesn’t send a shiver down your spine you are made of something stronger.

While this move is the second successful sequel on this list, The Conjuring 1 does creep ahead of its chilling follow up.

Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 60%

Obviously, it doesn’t live up to the original show. With many recognisable faces, you’ll hopefully laugh at, or along with some of the characters in a genuine way.

Ab Fab is winning the cameo award if there is one with the likes of Kate Moss and Graham Norton making appearances. On IMDB, the four main plot keywords are listed as ‘drinking, alcohol, older women and British’ which just about sums it up and perhaps entices you to give Edina and Patsy a chance at making you laugh out loud.

Overall, Joanna Lumley stole the show but your time could be better spent catching up on the work you’re inevitably already behind on.

Suicide Squad

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 26%

Well, what an upset this was.

The movie has been described as resembling 10 extended music videos glued together in an ungainly manner. The music is actually decent, but that unfortunately cannot make up for the poor performances and clichéd action scenes.

Feel free to watch it to see Margot Robbie walk around like the goddess she is and have some popcorn while you do it – all I can say is the popcorn will probably be the highlight of the movie experience.

Cara Delevingne did relatively little and still managed to do it badly; maybe the modelling career was called off marginally too soon. At the end, we are left with some good actors letting us down, and some bad actors just being bad. Go ahead and watch Finding Dory on repeat instead and don’t feel guilty about it.