UN medal for St Andrews professor

A St Andrews Professor, whose ground-breaking work in nanotechnology started off as a ‘laboratory curiosity’, has been awarded a major honour by the UN. Professor Jim Scott was honoured with the UNESCO medal for “Contributions to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology” at their headquarters in Paris on 11 October.

The medal was awarded in recognition of Professor Scott’s pioneering research on ferroelectric materials and devices.

Professor Scott said, “I am very grateful for this recognition. This work began in 1984 and has taken more than thirty years; it is not like winning the lottery.

Charity cancer walk launched

A charity walk is to be launched in memory of Ellie MacDonald who died from cancer only weeks after graduating from the University of St Andrews. Ellie’s mum Michelle, who has overcome breast cancer twice and lost two children to the disease, will join family, friends and students on October 29 on the walk from Cambo Estate to St Andrews.

It’s a flagship event for 1 Million Miles for Ellie, an appeal to raise a £1 million for those affected by cancer.

Money raised will be split between Cancer Research UK, Maggie’s and Macmillan Cancer Support.

New ape research unveiled

The ability to understand how others see the world, may not be unique to humans as previously thought, but exist in apes too, an international team of researchers, including from the University of St Andrews, has discovered.

Professor Josep Call said: “Apes predicted where an agent would go (or reach) not based on the current state of the world, but on what had been the state of the world when the agent witnessed a particular event.