St Salvator’s Chapel
Founded in 1450 by Bishop James Kennedy, St Salvator’s College was originally a centre of theological learning. The chapel that remains today served as a place of worship for both students and locals. As decades passed, however, the chapel became embroiled in religious turmoil.
St Mary’s Quadrangle
South Street is home to St Mary’s, one of the University’s oldest colleges. Although St Mary’s was founded in 1538 by Archbishop James Beaton, his untimely death meant that successor Cardinal David Beaton oversaw much of the college’s early history. The same Cardinal Beaton was murdered just eight years later, and his killing marked the beginning of the siege of St Andrews Castle.
The name of this South Street building offers a hint into its unusual past. Built in the 1610s, Parliament Hall served as the temporary home of the Scottish Parliament between 1645 and 1646. At the time, Edinburgh was facing an outbreak of bubonic plague, and the relatively new St Andrews building provided a welcome alternative.
The home of St Andrews’ Music Centre was built centuries after such storied buildings as St Salvator’s Chapel and St Mary’s College, but its short past is filled with many notable happenings.