Top ten games to buy for under £10: part one

0
One Finger Death Punch. Photo: bing.com/images

Though writing an article which centres on thriftiness and the good bargain may at first seem a little pointless in somewhere like St Andrews, where your next-door neighbour owns three yachts and daddy only bought you a Lamborghini for your 21st, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that folks here love a good deal. So, just like everyone (used to) resort to Tennent’s on a long night out, if you’ve just spent most of your money on your fancy new console or gaming laptop with added coffee-maker and you want some cheap games to actually play on it, this is the article for you.

10.  ModNation Racers. PS3 only; CEX

ModNation Racers. Photo: bing.com/images
ModNation Racers. Photo: Bing.com

It’s not quite Mario Kart but it does a damn good job. While it lacks the loveable characters of Luigi, Princess Peach and the odd Goomba, the ability to create your own personal racer, karts and even racetracks from a mind-bogglingly large variety of customisation options is truly outstanding and accessible, building great emotional attachment over time. The weapon choices are also fun and outrageously overpowered, which leads to a fantastic multiplayer experience.

1. Assassin’s Creed 1 & 2. PS3, Xbox 360, PC; CEX and Steam

As a gamer and History nerd, I was always going to love these games, and boy, are they two of my favourites. The Original Assassin’s Creed was a perfectly solid game, although some faults with repetitive mission types and an unintentionally hilarious freerunning system. Mostly, however, the Renaissance Italy of Assassin’s Creed II is what grabs the attention; wandering the streets of Florence is one of the most beautiful gaming experiences, filled with gorgeous architecture, clothing, art and colour. The more nerdily inclined player will also receive mild thrills from encountering such characters as da Vinci, Machiavelli and Rodrigo Borgia. What’s that? Just me? Oh, okay, then…

1. One Finger Death Punch. Xbox 360, iOS, Android and PC; Steam

One of the slightly more surreal games out there, and one which, weirdly, I wasn’t expecting to be any fun. An indie game with a fairly obviously low budget, all you have to do is press left and right at exactly the right moment to make your stick figure kick the living bejeezus out of the oncoming attackers. Just as I thought the fun was wearing off, the speed increased fivefold, and I started to become armed with a variety of weapons, culminating in a gloriously bloody few minutes of chopping down countless stick figures with a lightsaber. It’s a great one to compete for the high score with mates.

1. Goat Simulator. PC PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One; Steam, CEX

Goat Simulator. Photo: bing.com/images
    Goat Simulator. Photo: bing.com

So, so funny. I can’t describe the ridiculous levels of fun I’ve had with this game. It is exactly what it says. You are a goat. Except you are indestructible and have an insatiable appetite for murder and headbutting. You gain points for causing wanton acts of destruction and mayhem, such as really specific things like getting hit by a truck while licking a Non-Playable Character. Most of the world is destructible, and, this game is a very clever satirical mockery of very serious and successful games with odd physical glitches, such as the previously mentioned Assassin’s Creed.

1. Pretty much anything by Bethesda. PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One; Steam, CEX

Seriously, anything. Almost. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; Fallout 3; Fallout New Vegas. The only one you seemingly can’t get for under a tenner, is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Maybe because it’s a classic and it’s better than all of them (in my opinion). But really, for the extra £5, you could experience something far more imaginative, creative, beautiful and immersive than Skyrim. That’s if you don’t mid the funny voice acting, floaty combat and low, low graphics or, for under £10, you could buy some of the best Roleplaying Games ever made.

Next week – the top 5 games to buy for under £10