Here to help: the guide to student support services

0
Photo: University of St Andrews

Every now and then all students need a bit of advice and support, and although friends and family are a good place to start, there are plenty of local groups that you can turn to for help:

The wardennial teams

Every hall of residence has its own professionally trained wardennial team who are a first point of contact if a health crisis occurs, if you are in distress or if you are experiencing difficulties. These teams work with residents, the hall committee and the residential services team to support the students in the residence and to foster a sense of community. The teams are on duty between 7pm and 8am every weekday (Monday to Friday) and between 2pm and 8am at weekends (Saturday and Sunday). In addition, they provide drop-in sessions and out-of-hours support and emergency cover overnight and through weekends. To find contact information for the wardennial team in your hall, check the accommodation section of the University of St Andrews website: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/current/residents/wardens/.

Photo: University of St Andrews
Photo: University of St Andrews

The ASC

The ASC (the Advice and Support Centre) is the main information point for students, meaning that even if they are unable to help you themselves they will direct you to the appropriate office or organise an appointment for you with Student Services. They deal with problems of all description, no matter how large or small they may seem and offer friendly, confidential and official services. In addition to this, the ASC are also the main daytime emergency contact point. You can contact the ASC using the phone number +44 (0)1334 (46)2020 or the email address theasc@st-andrews.ac.uk. Alternatively, you can visit the Advice and Support Centre, which is located at 79 North Street.

Nightline

Nightline is a student-run confidential, anonymous listening and information service. Nightline is run by volunteers and provides a safe space for students to speak their mind in a non-directive, judgment-free environment. The listening volunteers are put through extensive training and are available to discuss any topic. Nightline has both a male and a female anonymous listening volunteer on shift every night that halls of residence are open. Their instant messaging service runs from 8 PM until Midnight and their phone and e-mail services remain open until 7 AM. Nightline can be contacted through the phone number (01334 46) 2266, the email address nightline@st-andrews.ac.uk or the instant messaging service on their website http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/nightline/instant-messaging/.

The Chaplaincy

The University Chaplain, Revd Dr Donald MacEwan, and his team offer pastoral care for any student or member of staff, regardless of faith or philosophy of life.  This includes one-to-one confidential meetings where students can discuss issues, sympathetic support during a crisis, visits to any student who is in hospital, support in emotional and spiritual issues, space to search for the meaning of life and an opportunity for students to explore their faith or lack thereof.  To arrange a meeting with the University Chaplain, you can email his secretaries using the email chaplaincy@st-andrews.ac.uk, email his personal address dgm21@st-andrews.ac.uk or visit the Chaplaincy, which is situated in Mansefield opposite the Student’s Association to make an appointment. In case of an emergency, the Chaplain can be contacted on 077133 22036 in the evening or weekends. The other members of the Chaplaincy team are also available for consultation on request.  If you would like to meet with a female chaplain, please contact the Chaplaincy secretaries to make arrangement or alternatively, contact Fiona Barnard at fvb@st-andrews.ac.uk

The NHS

If you need to visit a medical facility in St Andrews there are two local practices: Pipeland Medical Practice and Blackfriars Medical Practice. You are strongly encouraged to register with a local practice on arrival at the University because this enables you to call one of these two practices at the St Andrews Community Hospital to book an appointment with a doctor if you are unwell. For minor injuries, students can request to speak to a Nurse or Doctor to describe their symptoms or they can contact NHS24 on http://www.nhs24.com or call free on 111. For more serious conditions requiring A&E, the nearest hospital is Ninewells in Dundee. The NHS website www.nhs.com also has useful information relating to student health under the Live Well tab, ranging from topics such as healthy eating to mental health and drugs.

St Andrews Hospital
St Andrews Hospital