Business Improvement District (BID) St Andrews are to hold “a European Mobility Week event on September 17 encouraging students, as well as other people using St Andrews, to leave the car behind in favour of greener and healthier modes of transport.”

More than 1000 cities across the continent will be taking part in European Mobility Week which is aimed at encouraging locals to ditch the car in favour of more sustainable and healthy transport options.

Since its introduction in 2002, European Mobility Week has taken place each year from 16 to 22 September, with the aim of encouraging European municipalities to introduce and promote sustainable transport measures and to invite people to try alternatives to the car. Last year almost 1,900 cities from 45 countries took part, with 1,229 registered to date for this year.

Each year the week focuses on a particular topic related to sustainable mobility. This year the theme is ‘Smart and sustainable mobility – an investment for Europe’, aimed at encouraging people to think about the cost of mobility for themselves and society.

Speaking about the event, BID St Andrews Manager, Rhonda McCrimmon, said: “Sustainable transport is an important long-term part of the accessibility theme of the BID St Andrews Business Plan, so holding an event to support European Mobility Week is something we were keen to do.

“We hope we can get its key messages across to a significant number of people who live in and come to St Andrews, which would also ease the problems around availability of parking spaces.”

BID St Andrews is the not-for-profit management company for the Business Improvement District in St Andrews which was created on January 4 2016 after a vote of businesses in the proposed BID area in October 2015 and will run it for five years.

The aim of BID St Andrews is to “harness the power of the global brand of St Andrews for the benefit of local businesses and the community,” according to its website.