Starfields set to launch us into the new academic year

0

Run by student society FS, Starfields 2016 already promises to be a big event in this year’s upcoming Freshers’ Week. A great place to mingle and socialise as well as to get down to three different international music acts (led by acclaimed DJ Michael Calfan), Starfields is undoubtedly a key event on the early social calendar and gives a taste to the incoming students of how extravagant a St Andrews event can be.

While not one of the events that St Andrews is famous for, the glamour of FS is as apparent at Starfields as it is in their annual fashion show. This glamour is hard to ignore when compared with some of the slightly more mundane events that happen at Club 601 throughout the week (Clan Warfare is great, but it’s no Coachella). The festival-like setting and theme can be great fun if you didn’t actually make it to a festival this summer. It’s also worth noting that the event is being held in support of the Brain Tumour Foundation, so you can drink and dance in the knowledge that your money has been well-spent. The Brain Tumour Foundation is currently pioneering cutting edge research in 3D printing tumours, work that will lead to a better understanding of (and a cure for) tumours.

With arguably the best music, definitely the best atmosphere, and a great cause to rally behind, Starfields is definitely an event to attend this Freshers’ Week, for both freshers and returning students alike.

Admittedly, the festival is a rather pricey occasion that isn’t included in the Freshers’ Golden Ticket and FS is not exaggerating when they say they expect ‘over 2,250 attendees’ for the event – not the event ideal, then, for people who do poorly in crowds. You may also be wary of entering Lower College Lawn alongside thousands of struggling, intoxicated peers. Last year’s Starfields was criticised for its handling of these two issues: entry queues were long and disorganised and service was painfully slow due to an understaffed bar. 

FS, however, have promised ‘major improvements’ to their entry systems. Head of Public Relations Gabriela Flax confirmed a revised entry plan, extensive security measures, and a new bar strategy (including more than double last year’s staff). The event appears to have planned for every contingency, making the flaws of the past just that; of the past.

Last year’s Starfields was where I met some of the greatest people I know and it’s so packed that you end up meeting people beyond your corridor. The size of the event means you’ll have something to talk about with almost everyone you know in the ensuing weeks. Will I be going again this year, with high expectations and higher hopes? Most definitely.

Early Bird tickets can be purchased through FIXR.

Featured photo: St Andrews Charity Fashion Show