St Andrews professors elected to the British Academy

0
Photo: University of St Andrews

Two St Andrews academics have been elected to the British Academy, it has been announced.

Professor John Hudson of the School of History and Professor Lorna Hutson of the School of English have been elected Fellows of the British Academy.

Professors Hudson and Hutson are among 42 new Fellows named by the Academy this month, in recognition of their world-leading research into the humanities and social sciences, including law, linguistics, economics and history. Together, Professors Hudson and Hutson have co-directed The Centre for Mediaeval and Early Modern Law and Literature at the University of St Andrews for the past five years.

The British Academy is the premier national body representing the humanities and the social sciences, the counterpart of the Royal Society for the natural sciences.

An expert in both mediaeval studies and legal history, Professor John Hudson’s work focuses on 9th to 13th century England. His research also spans mediaeval historical writing and late 19th century study of mediaeval England. At the University of St Andrews, he is founding Director of the Institute of Legal and Constitutional Research, and he has a visiting position as William W. Cook Global Law Professor at the University of Michigan.

Upon receiving his Fellowship of the British Academy, Professor Hudson said: “I am delighted and honoured to be elected to the British Academy. I am particularly pleased to be elected in the fields both of Mediaeval Studies and of Law.

“The University of St Andrews has a long-held reputation as one of the top centres in the world for the study of Mediaeval History and is now establishing one in that of law through the Institute of Legal and Constitutional Research.

“I owe more than can be said to my colleagues in St Andrews over the years, taking particular pleasure in collaborative work with postgraduate and post-doctoral scholars here in recent times, and with established colleagues in Europe and North America.

“I hope that my Fellowship of the British Academy will allow me to extend such collaborative work in the future.”

Professor Lorna Hutson is Berry Professor of English Literature at the University of St Andrews and she will take up the post of Merton Professor of English Literature at Oxford on 1 September 2016. Her interests are in the rhetorical bases of Renaissance Literature, emphasising fiction’s affinities with forensic rhetoric.

Professor Lorna Hutson commented: “I am honoured and delighted to be elected to the British Academy and especially to have been elected while still in post at the University of St Andrews, before I take up my new post at Oxford in September.

“St Andrews has an exceptionally vibrant Faculty of Arts, within which English Literature is outstanding.

“Literary criticism has the advantage of bringing a fine-grained precision to the broader work of cultural and historical analysis. I’ve been privileged, at St Andrews, to have the chance of working with historians and legal historians who appreciate the insights literature affords.

“I hope that I will be able, as a Fellow of the British Academy, to work for the furthering of such interdisciplinary conversations and for the advancement of the Humanities in general.”