St Andrews has topped a national survey of student satisfaction, according to research published today (August 10).

Sharing the top spot of the National Student Survey (NSS) 2016 with Keele University, St Andrews placed ahead of Oxford and Cambridge (Joint 9th) and all other Scottish universities.

The NSS is a survey of nearly half a million students across the UK, undertaken independently by Ipsos MORI. This is the eighth time in the past 10 years that the University of St Andrews has been ranked in the top two across the UK.

St Andrews Vice-Principal and Proctor, Professor Lorna Milne, said: “This should be great news for those joining our academic family in 2016, as this year’s graduates assure incoming students that they’ve made the right choice.

“This ranking confirms we have superb staff waiting to greet them and a community where the greatest satisfaction goes together with the most ambitious challenges.

“Nonetheless, we take all feedback seriously and will be looking for opportunities for further enhancements to the St Andrews experience.

“Scottish universities are setting excellent standards in UK education, and we are delighted that the NSS can be taken as such a positive endorsement of hard work and achievement in our sector.”

Charlotte Andrew, President of the St Andrews Students’ Association, said: “This demonstration of confidence from our graduating class clearly shows that the St Andrews experience is outstanding.

“I feel proud and privileged to have shared in that, and I hope this news encourages students from around the globe to continue to apply and contribute to the University of St Andrews.

“I have full faith that both the University and the Students’ Association will continue to look for ways to improve upon what we provide to every student.”

The NSS results follow high rankings for St Andrews in the major independent University league tables published this summer – The Complete University Guide and the Guardian University Guide both named St Andrews top in Scotland and within the top five universities in the UK.